Women Thrive MagazineFollow
Media platform spotlighting and celebrating entrepreneurial women and their achievements. Creating a platform where every woman can be seen and heard. We are disrupting the media industry by democratising media channels for women. If you have a business or an idea and you would like to rise and thrive, you are in the right place.
Parenting Tomorrow’s Superheroes: Raising Authentic and Confident Children
I’m not here to convince you whether you’re a good parent or not… I am here to convince you that it is possible for your child to be confident, authentic, and fulfilled!
I am here to tell you that I am living proof of a child who struggled with confidence… who struggled with limiting beliefs, self-doubt, wanting to give up, thinking I’m not good enough… According to Dictionary.com, purpose is “the reason for which something exists” and my definition is, “Your reason to exist is to give God glory”.
So what type of parent do you want to be?
Would you like to be a parent that partners alongside your child to guide them in discovering their purpose? Would you like to be a parent who not just notices but appreciates the gifts, talents, and abilities of your child and will do everything in your power to enhance their full potential?
OR would like to be a parent who allows their child to simply get by in life… Once they achieve good grades, then they’re successful in your book? Have you ever thought about what activities make your child feel alive? What type of character do you want to instill in them today? What gifts, talents & skillsets do you want to see them soar in?
As the parent, isn’t it part of your job description to meet these needs?
We all know that children want to be loved, and appreciated and have their basic needs met. But what about being the force of nature that ACTUALLY spends quality time with your child; connecting, bonding, and listening to their hearts? Instead of just picking them up from school, asking them about their grades, driving them to their extracurricular activities, and doing it all over again for the next 4 days without a personal connection or bonding moments.
To tell you the truth, raising children today is harder than ever.
They are faced with being on screens all day long, whether it be their phone, the TV, the iPhone, their iPad, video games, or a Gameboy. And once on their screens, especially if they are on social media they are prone to comparing themselves and their lives to friends and even complete strangers.
Some of our children also struggle with negative body image, poor and unhealthy thoughts, and emotions such as Guilt, Loneliness, Anger, Sadness, and Shame (GLASS).
But what if there was a way your child can push through these negative emotions and become the superhero that’s inside of them waiting to be unleashed?
Parents… How do you raise a child to be confident by overcoming limiting beliefs and self-doubt?
- Encourage a Growth Mindset: This is the belief that one’s abilities and intelligence can be developed through effort and learning. Encouraging your child to adopt a growth mindset can help them overcome self-doubt and limiting beliefs. Praise your child’s effort and progress, rather than just their achievements. Teach them to view mistakes as learning opportunities and encourage them to persist through challenges.
- Foster Self-Awareness: Do this by helping them identify their strengths and weaknesses. This will help them understand that they are capable of improvement and can take steps to develop their skills and abilities. Encourage them to try new things, explore different interests, and provide positive feedback and support along the way.
- Be a Positive Role Model: Children learn by example, so it’s important to model positive behaviors and attitudes towards oneself. Avoid making negative self-comments or engaging in self-criticism in front of your child. Instead, model self-acceptance and self-compassion.
How do you raise a child to be authentic by beginning their adventure in discovering & identifying their identity?
- Encourage Self-Discovery: Help your child explore their interests and passions. Expose them to a variety of experiences and let them decide what resonates with them. Encourage them to try new things and take risks without fear of failure. Provide them with the tools and resources they need to explore their interests and develop their skills.
- Emphasize Values: Help your child develop a strong set of values by discussing the importance of honesty, integrity, empathy, kindness, and respect for others. Encourage them to live according to their values and to stand up for what they believe in. Teach them to make ethical and moral decisions based on their values.
- Create a Supportive Environment: Do this while teaching your child boundaries, respect for others, and the necessity for proper corrective discipline. In this environment, help them to keep trying and pushing through even if they fail, as we know failure is part of the life experience, so during these times we must ensure to coach them to get back up and to try again. If they learn this early, it is the hardships that shape good character.
Lastly, how do you raise a child to be fulfilled by guiding them to live the rest of their life pursuing their God-given purpose and be the solution to the problem they were called to solve?
- Help Them Discover Their Strengths: Help them uncover unique strengths and abilities. Encourage them to focus on what they are naturally good at and help them develop their skills in those areas. Provide opportunities for them to use their strengths and talents in meaningful ways.
- Teach Them the Value of Service: Help your child understand the importance of serving others and making a positive impact in their world. Encourage them to find ways to use their talents and skills to help others and make a difference in their community. Volunteer together as a family and encourage them to get involved in service projects that align with their interests.
- Help Them Connect with Jesus: Encourage your child to connect with Jesus and seek His guidance in their life. Teach them to pray and study the Bible, and help them develop a personal relationship with Him. Encourage them to seek His will for their lives and to use their talents and passions to serve Him.
I think we can all agree that your children are our future leaders and solutions for a better and brighter tomorrow. But in order for our children to become our leaders and solutions, they need a village, guiding and cheering them on to be confident, authentic & fulfilled!
It is possible to raise a confident, authentic & fulfilled child!
Parents, if you’re interested in seeing how well you know your child, take my free quiz at Discovery Quiz for Parents so that you can start raising a remarkable child.
About the Author
Name: Beijing Rodgers
Professional Title: Mental Health & Purpose Coach
Bio: Beijing Rodgers is from the beautiful island nation of The Bahamas. Her life’s work and legacy are focused on creating thriving spaces for youth leadership, empowerment, and development. This is achieved through her Youth-led Non-profit Organisation, IOT – It’s Our Turn, which she started at the tender age of 12 years old and through her Christian Life & Purpose Coaching business called, Coaching with Beijing, focused on the professional & personal development of the young person, connecting them to their creator through self-discovery & life purpose.
Social Media Handle: